Be the Star You Are & Help The Stars We Serve.
Meals on Wheels of Albuquerque has close to 400 volunteers who staff four different sites in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho, participate in fundraising activities, work in the Meals on Wheels of Albuquerque kitchen and office, and/or deliver meals to the homebound to provide social interaction to meal recipients. Come spend a few hours, once a week with us and make a difference for those in need!
For more information, call your Volunteer Coordinator at 505-823-8064 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individual volunteers are the very backbone of Meals on Wheels of Albuquerque. Giving of their valuable time and money is a selfless act that allows us to continue to meet the nutritional needs of the home bound citizens in our area. Below are the areas where you may find volunteer opportunities working Monday – Friday:
- Kitchen Volunteers are needed one morning each week for one to two hours at the Northside Presbyterian site. Duties include packing food items and packing cold packs. Hours are 7-9 am or 9-10 am.
- Program Office Administration Volunteers are needed one day a week for about two hours at the Northside Presbyterian site. Duties include copying, data entry, filing, stuffing envelopes, and other similar activities. Hours are flexible.
- Drivers are needed one day a week or as a substitute when needed for approximately two hours. Duties include delivering a hot, nourishing meal to our clients. Meals are picked up at 10:30am at one of our four sites: Northside Presbyterian (north), Kaseman Hospital (east), Presbyterian Downtown (south) or Rust Medical Center (west).
- Site Coordinators are needed one day a week or as a substitute when needed for approximately three to four hours at one of our four sites; Northside Presbyterian (north), Kaseman Hospital (east), Presbyterian Downtown (south) or Rust Medical Center (west). Duties include acting as a liaison between the drivers and the Meals on Wheels of Albuquerque main office. Hours are 10:00am – 1:00pm.
- Speakers Bureau, Committee and/or Special Events volunteers are needed to assist in the planning and execution of various fundraisers and events we have throughout the year. Please contact Tanja Jenkins, Program Director, at 505-823-8061 or email her at email@example.com to inquire about specific events you may be able to volunteer for.
Many business leaders are interested in having an opportunity to give back to the communities in which they work and live. Joining the Meals on Wheels of Albuquerque Corporate VIP Driver Program gives companies, organizations, and churches across the metro area a tremendous volunteer opportunity for their employees and members.
How Does the Program Work?
- The corporation/organization is scheduled to deliver a route once a week
- The corporate delivery team is made up of coworkers in pairs who deliver the meals between 10:30 and 12:30. An average route takes 60-90 minutes
- Typically, teams can be set up so that a given individual delivers meals once a month or less
- The program allows corporate social responsibility with consistency, flexibility, and ease at a minimal cost
- One individual at your company/organization acts as the Team Coordinator and is the liaison with the Meals on Wheels of Albuquerque Volunteer Coordinator
Benefits to Volunteer Driver Teams
- Employees gain immediate satisfaction in helping others and providing social interaction for clients who are isolated
- Your company/organization is seen as a community partner helping to serve over 135,000 meals each year to those most vulnerable in our community
- Enhances image as a socially responsible company
- Builds employee morale, satisfaction, and retention
- Encourages improved employee communication
- Promotes team building and camaraderie
- Provides a leadership opportunity for Team Coordinator
- Helps employees develop traits such as compassion, trust, and reliability
- Encourages professional growth and networking
- It allows busy people to give back to the community without taking away evening or weekend time with their families
Meals on Wheels is committed to your privacy. We never sell our donor, volunteer, or client lists to any third party companies.