- One 20-ounce can lychees in heavy syrup
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
- 16 brandied cherries
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- Six12-ounce bottles ginger ale or other soda
- Ice cubes
- In a small saucepan, bring the lychee syrup and ginger to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stuff 16 lychees with brandied cherries. Set each lychee in the cup of a mini muffin pan or in an ice cube tray. Strain the lychee-ginger syrup and pour it over the lychees. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a pitcher, stir the sugar into the lime juice until dissolved. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Unmold the lychee ice cubes into a small punch bowl. Pour in the lime mixture. Add the ginger ale or other soda, stir gently and serve in ice-filled glasses.
The lychee ice cubes can be frozen for up to 1 week.